Thursday 10 July 2014

Graphic Novel Mini Reviews: Hawkeye Vol. 1 and Marvel Preludes: Fury's Big week



Title: Hawkeye: My Life as a Weapon 
Author: Matt Fraction (writer), David Aja (artist) & Javier Pulido (artist)
Publisher: Marvel

Goodreads Synopis: The breakout star of this summer's blockbuster Avengers film, Clint Barton - aka the self-made hero Hawkeye - fights for justice! With ex-Young Avenger Kate Bishop by his side, he's out to prove himself as one of Earth's Mightiest Heroes! SHIELD recruits Clint to intercept a packet of incriminating evidence - before he becomes the most wanted man in the world. You won't believe what is on The Tape! What is the Vagabond Code? Matt Fraction pens a Hawkeye thriller that spans the globe...and the darkest parts of Hawkeye's mind. Barton and Bishop mean double the Hawkeye and double the trouble...and stealing from the rich never looked so good.

My Thoughts: This is my first superhero comic and I really enjoyed it. It was great to get to see what an Avenger does when he is not avenging. Mostly it seems he spends a lot of time in hospital, after getting himself in one bad situation after another. Aww Clint!

I haven't read any Young Avengers yet, so this was my first time meeting Kate Bishop and I like her and look forward to reading more stories with her in.

I am not completely sold on the artwork, it's not as 'clean' as I am used to, but I am sure I will get used to it and it in no way detracts from the storytelling. In fact, it probably adds to the story that is the mess of Clint's life.

I am definitely going to be purchasing the rest of this series.




Title: Marvel's The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week
Author: Christopher Yost  & Eric Pearson et al
Publisher: Marvel

Goodreads Synopsis: The newest installment of the official Marvel Cinematic Universe tie-in comics is here just in time for the Avengers movie! Just how will S.H.I.E.L.D. maintain the status quo in a world full of gamma-powered rage monsters, hammer wielding gods and men in iron suits? What exactly is the Avengers Initiative? If you thought you knew everything there was to know about Director Nick Fury and the elusive Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - think again!

My Thoughts: I very much enjoyed this collection that tells the events of the MCU movies leading to The Avengers, from Nick Fury's perspective. It doesn't really add anything to the movies, but is a fun read nonetheless.

The stories show us what was going on behind the scenes with S.H.E.I.L.D, during the action of the movies. Plus there is more Hawkeye and some Coulson fanboying over you know who. 

The art is good but a couple of characters aren't so easily recognisable but their personality shines through, so its OK. 

Anyone who is a big fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe should get a kick out of this collection, I certainly did.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and I always do my best to comment back. I will also try and give your blog a visit X