Monday 14 July 2014

Review: Darkness

Title: Darkness
Series: Darkness #1
Author: Erin Eveland
Published by: Selladore Press on July 1st 2014
Genre: Paranormal mystery suspense
Format: eARC
Source: Netgalley
Buy it from Amazon or Book Depository
Check it out on Goodreads

*I received a copy of this book free from the publisher via Netgalley for review consideration, this in no way affects my opinion of the book.*

Goodreads Synopsis: One Girl. One Boy. And the Masters of Darkness. See the Shadow Creatures. They are everywhere. But you can't run from the shadows or the Masters who control them.

Catherine has been born with a supernatural power called Darkness. The Masters of Darkness have found her and it's just a matter of time before someone claims her.

An Interactive Novel
A QR Code starts the beginning of each chapter connecting the reader to specific art or music that ties into the mood and setting of the novel. Using the quick response code in print and eBook formatting, Darkness incorporates visual and sound to heighten the reading experience.

My Thoughts: This book kept me reading to the end, but I don't really know why.

I really liked the idea of QR codes that take the reader to artwork and music that add a little something more to the story. As I read this on a Kindle paperwhite I didn't get to experience these extras as well as I could have on another device or even in print and with a code reading app on my phone.

The book started off better than it ended - the beginning of the story really drew me in. At the start of the novel the female protaganist, Catherine is a strange child being raised by her grandmother. When her grandmother suddenly dies Catherine has to go live with her abusive, alcoholic mother. The story jumps forward ten years and we get to see life is hell for sixteen year old Catherine, who has to practically dumpster dive just to eat. The only good thing in her live is Nathan, her friend who she wishes was more, but she thinks he is not interested in her that way because he doesn't spend as much time with her as he used to. The reason Nathan isn't spending all his spare time with Catherine, is because he is spending it with Artros, a master of darkness. This master of darkness is teaching Nathan how to control colour and the darkness, he has also been pursuing Catherine since she was a child and is just using Nathan as another way to control her.

Once we have gotten to know all this, plus the reason why Artros wants Catherine so badly, the story starts to drag. While the writing is beautiful throughout - there is just too much of it. I found myself skimming a lot of it just to get to some action, action that never happened. I felt bad for Catherine but I never really connected with her and I felt that I didn't get to know Nathan well enough to feel anything. As for the masters of Darkness, well, I am not entirley sure what they are really meant to be, are they like demons or something? It is the first in a series, so I am sure (I hope) things become clear in the next books.

I was expecting it to be a creepy horror novel but it is more of a mystery/suspense and I am not really into those types of books. So, if you enjoy mystery and suspense novels then you just may like it a whole lot more that I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and I always do my best to comment back. I will also try and give your blog a visit X