Saturday 17 January 2015

Chatty Saturdays: Are you the only bookish person you know?

Until I started college, my sister was the only person I knew who read for pleasure, but now all she reads is fanfiction, does that count?

Now I am in university studying English literature one would think I would be surrounded by book geeks, but most of my classmates only read the required books (if that!). They say they don't have time for pleasure reading. Don't have time Pfft! It's just not that important to them, no matter how busy or tired I am, I read something for ME, nearly everynight before I turn out the lights, even if its only for 10 minutes. Of course, there are a small number of my classmates who do still read for pleasure and we even recommend books to each other, which is nice.

My friend's husband thinks that any reading that isn't for learning is just a waste of time - this is a person who will spend hours upon hours watching TV. This just boggles my mind. I love watching TV and movies as much as the next person and there are times when I would much rather veg out in front of the TV instead of reading, these are times when even thinking is too much effort, let alone reading. But books are always better and definitely not a waste of time.


It is weird to me that there are people who don't like reading, what's not to like? Seriously.


How many bookish people do you have in your life? 
Do any of your friends or family think you are weird for loving books and reading?
Are book blogs the only place you get to fangirl/fanboy about the books you read?

9 comments:

  1. I am the only avidly crazy bookish person I know. I do have quite a few friends who read, which is awesome, but I definitely love my book blog because this family is much more accepting of my fangirling!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be great if the people in your life would understand and accept your fangirling over books? Even better if they joined in. But the family you make in the book blogosphere are a great surrogate, because you know that everyone of them are as crazy about books as you are. And that is fab!

      Delete
  2. I know a few people who like to read but none who love it like I do. This is why blogging is so great, we meet so many like-minded people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird isn't, how some people just 'like' reading, but they aren't crazy about books? I think these people just haven't read the right books ;-) I don't know what I would do without fellow book bloggers, go crazy with my pent book love and enthusiasm most probably.

      Delete
  3. I know a couple of other people who read a good amount, but they don't read the same things I do, so it's sort of sad to have no one outside of the blogging world that I can talk to about my favorites and them understand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what's more frustrating - having no bookish friends at all or having bookish friends who don't read the same things that you do. Either way they probably wont care when you start fangirling over your latest read. Luckily, when you fangirl about it on your blog, there will be plenty of people to join in and that is a beautiful thing ;-)

      Delete
  4. I don't really know any on a day to day basis. My sister loves to read and I give her books when she comes to visit. As children she was five years younger than me and took over most of the books I owned when I left home. She still has an old favorite - Heidi that she got recovered! Other than that I mostly talk online to readers. Thank goodness for the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister did the same thing after I moved out, but she doesn't have any of the books anymore, unfortunately :-( And like I said, she doesn't read real books anymore, just fanfiction on her phone :-0
      Yes! absolutely thank goodness for the internet and all the wonderful book lovers you can meet on it.

      Delete
  5. My mom and I both LOVE reading, and I have my kids loving it too. My husband totally doesn't get it. He doesn't think it's a waste of time, he just has no desire to read books. I find it very surprising that English Lit majors don't read, though - seems crazy!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and I always do my best to comment back. I will also try and give your blog a visit X