Sunday 13 April 2014

Sunday Post: Weekly Wrap-Up (13/4/14)


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news - a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. 

This week on my Blog:

And this here Sunday Post

What I read this week:


I spent most of the week reading The Serpent of Venice but finally DNF'ed it on Friday. It was taking me so long to get through and I had to force myself to pick it up each day and I just didn't care. So I decided my time should be spent reading something I actually enjoy. 





After I put that down, I picked up Cress and of course, I loved it. 



   

 Additions to my TBR this week:

Stacking the Shelves hosted @ Tynga's Reviews
 Bought - Physical

The only book I bought this week is Serenity Leaves on the Wind #3. I haven't started reading this series yet beause I am waiting till I have all six issues, then I am going to read them all in one way too short sitting.




Bought - Kindle




After seeing the Divergent movie I needed more, so I got the 0.5 novella to give me a small dose. The other two books are Kindle freebies with interesting covers. The Summons fits in with my interest in stories that give innocent things a not so innocent twist - you know, like naughty angels and sexy fairy tales ;-)

Library 

Even though I still haven't read all the books from my last library haul, I still checked out some more anyway.













Soulless by Gail Carrriger - I haven't yet forayed into steampunk and so I thought it was about time that I did.
Panic by Lauren Oliver - Booktube seems to be all over this, so I thought I would give it a try.
Biting Bad and Wild Things by Chloe Neill - I started reading the Chicagoland Vampire series a few years back, and I have steadily been making my through them since, they are fun, easy reads. I happened to pick up books 8 & 9, even though I haven't yet read books 6 & 7, so it looks like another trip to the library is needed.
Rags and Bones by various authors - Neil Gaiman contributes, 'nuff said.
The Learning to Read Music one is pretty self explanatory.


This week in the blogosphere:

Heather at YA Fantasy Junkie talks about not being ashamed of your reading choices. This was wasn't published this week, but I only found it on Thursday so I am counting it. In the same vein, Lori @ Writing My Own Fairytale writes her defense of loving YA.

Allie at Little Birdie Books lists the YA rules that must be obeyed, it's funny and oh so true.

Over on the YouTube, Hank Green reminds us that we exist for our own sakes, not anybody else's.

This week in real life:

I went and saw Divergent and it was fabulous, I loved it. OMG it was so good, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is and in my opinion, it is not that far behind Catching Fire in awesomness. I was pleasantly surprised by the actors, especially Shailene - I have only ever seen her in The Secret Life an American Teenager and so I was not to sure about her as Tris at all, but she was brilliant. I want to go see it again and re-read the books and over throw an evil regime and Marry Four and have his divergent babies.
I was super lazy this week and didn't start on my essay or any exam revision, tut tut.

Next week on my blog:

It's Monday! What are you reading?
Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish things I'd like to own
DNF Review: The Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore
Waiting on Wednesday: Fool's Assassin
Bookish Thoughts Thursday (Didn't do, sorry)
Review: Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott
The Sunday Post

I am dropping a couple of the memes I tried out this week but I am going to give top ten tuesday a try.

Next week in real Life:

I WILL start my essay and I WILL start revising. As I WILL have my head in the books all week I won't be up too much else of note. A week full of reading and writing, sounds like fun, but it won't be, not for me anyway. I hate postmodern theory UGH and I don't enjoy reading critical journals or essays SNORE. I am not a very good academic - I just want to read fun books and talk/write about them. I love being in university, I just hate doing the work, but I guess that makes me no different from the majority of students. Oh well, summer hols are nearly here.

How was your week? I hope everyone had a great week and that next week will be equally as great or better.

12 comments:

  1. AHh I saw Divergent last night! And although I've actually never read it, I enjoyed the movie! I'm so jealous that you picked up Cress, I'm going to steal it from you.

    Have fun on your essay :P I'm working on mine now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you're jealous I have read Cress and I am jealous that you still get too, funny how that works.

      You are such a good girl, working on your essay. I keep telling myself that the sooner I start, the sooner I finish, but its not working :-(

      Delete
  2. I just read Panic and liked it- not perfect but it was entertaining. I should get Freak of Nature since it's a freebie, and I'm looking forward to Fool's Assassin too. Nice to see a new book in that universe from Robin Hobb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entertaining is more than alright by me, thats all I am really looking for in books right now after having to read critically for university.

      I am ridiculously excited for Fools Assassin and getting to catch up with Fitz and Fool.

      Delete
  3. Nice haul, you've got quite a lot of interesting looking books this week. I really like the look of Panic, I am hoping to read that one soon. I hope you enjoy your books :) My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to see Divergent this weekend too but it was sold out when I was at the theater. So I saw captain america instead. It was really good.

    Freak of nature looks great!

    My Weekly Wrap Up Post

    Happy Reading!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always go to the cinema early in the day, so I never have to worry about that (or kids), I really can't wait to go see Captain America, it looks soooo good.

      Happy reading right back at ya!

      Delete
  5. The guy on The Summons looks like Dean Winchester (I got the book too !). Have fun catching up on Chicagoland vampires, it's a great series. Have a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! He does a little bit doesn't he? I am now going to be imagining Dean all throughout the book lol.

      Nice week you too.

      Delete
  6. Awesome haul! I'm waiting on Souless to arrive at my library so I can pick it up! Happy Reading! Here's my StS if you'd like to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soulless does look like lots of fun doesn't it?

      Happy reading to you.

      Delete

I love receiving comments and I always do my best to comment back. I will also try and give your blog a visit X